Koen Kievits was born on the 4th of May 1996 in Hilversum, the Netherlands. Living with his parents and his two sisters, he stayed there before he started studying fine arts in Arnhem at ArtEZ in 2015. Before that he worked at a cinema and followed multiple art courses outside of school, between which two pre-study courses at ArtEZ. Picking up a camera for the first time during his fine art studies, he started to explore the world of photography and film on his own accord, which led him to do many collaborations with other artists, as well as errands for multiple companies around Arnhem. During his studies he regularly went back to his hometown to work on art design and organisation for a local dance event called ‘Puur’ which lasted until 2018. He graduated his Fine Arts course in 2019.
Name: Kievits, Koen
Born in Hilversum, 04.05.1996
Lives and works in the Netherlands
· 2015 Started: Base for Experiment Art & Research (Fine Art), Hogeschool voor de
Kunsten ArtEZ, Arnhem. Graduation in 2019
- Membership at Education and Examination Regulations committee
for Base for Experiment Art & Research Fine Art ArtEZ (2 years)
- Internship, working with Sjoerd Knibbeler (Amsterdam based).
· 2015 Pre-study course at ArtEZ, Arnhem – Completed, followed by admission
· 2013 Orienting program at ArtEZ, Arnhem – Completed
· 2011 – 2015 Weekly art course at Globe, Hilversum. Supervision by Rixt Hilverda
· 2008 - 2014 VWO-NG, A. Roland Holst College, Hilversum. Diploma 2014
· 2019 Artist in Residence July 25th - August 26th - Localize – Festival für Stadt,
Kultur und Kunst in Potsdam, Germany
· 2019 5-week residency at Cittadellarte, Fondazione Pistoletto, Biella, Italy
· 2017 5-day Inter-academical program at ‘Ruhrtriennale’, Bochum, Germany.
My research is focused on questioning the value of the mystery in contemporary society, “is the miracle dead? And thus, the viewer? Have we lost the need for mysticism? And what could its relevance be today?”
The basis of my autonomous work is grounded in natural conditions and elements, photographing and documenting rhythmic patterns in the weather, soil, light and other fundamental occurrences lead me to an experimental approach where I try to reconstruct and reshape these phenomena in a studio setup, or transform them into an installation in public space, placing the magical in a banal scene. I attempt to incite a raw, in-experienced perception, by which I try to capture and expand the personal relationship the viewer has with the mysteries I present them.
Installations in the public space can be temporary or fixed. Works are also created through the lens-based medium, which is also used to display documentation of installations.
I’ve used my photography and cinematography for many collaborations with other artists, institutes and businesses. Ranging from documenting artworks and art-shows, exhibitions, theatre documentation, show-reels, video contribution for events and performances, documenting performances, providing cinematography for trailers and infomercials, photography at events such as lectures and artist-talks, poster designs, and many other things.
· Upcoming - Localize Festival, group exhibition. Potsdam, Germany. (24,25.08.2019)
· ‘Fourth wall’ - Group graduation exhibition, Oude Kraan 26, ArtEZ, Arnhem (03-07.07.2019) Cur. Fleur Lamers
· Curated ‘Birthday-Expo’ – group exhibition with Willem de Haan, Xam van Kempen, Jakob van Klinken, Derk Müller, Matthieu Reijnoudt
and Aisi Rosa Schuur. Hilversum (04.05.2019)
· ‘Is this real?’ – Solo show, Nijmegen Linnaeusgebouw (December 2018- February 2019) Cur. Cultuur op de Campus
· 'A Mild Obsession' - Group exhibition at BOKA, Arnhem. (20.12.2017) Supervision. Edwin Zwakman
· Wentelteefjes. #2 – Group exhibition, Brigant, Arnhem (19.05.2017)
· Wentelteefjes. #1 – Group exhibition, Brigant, Arnhem (15.12.2016)
· Fresh Eyes #1 - GUP Emerging photography talent Europe, 2019
· Metropolis M n.4 2019 - Graduates 2019
Rizoom (Dutch) https://rizoom.art/week-15-koen-kievits/
That Sunset Though - Willem de Haan & Matthieu Reijnoudt. Video of a performance during the exposition: 'Playhouse', curated by Sjors Bindels in Museum Van Bommel van Dam, Venlo, The Netherlands. (June 2017)
Cecilie Schyth Kjær & Malika Berney. Trailer for a duet. (2017-2018) - https://vimeo.com/249595353
Thomas van der Burg (composer). Cinematography for showreel. (2018)
Chataine Moekardanoe. Cinematography as visuals for a performance during 'Donnerwetterday', Luxor Live, Arnhem. (2017)
'Ties un-covered' - Anna de Vriend & Anne Schoemaker. See works > Installation
Melanie Maria. Cinematography for multiple performances. (2015-2018)
Blush - with Melanie Maria. Photography and video visuals for theatre. (2016)
Broken Toaster Records - Cinematography for video documentation during 'Donnerwetterday', Luxor Live, Arnhem. (2018)
Song of the Sisters - Cinematography for documentation theatre performance, during ‘Amsterdam Fringe Festival’. (2018)